They say the hardest reviews to write are the ones in which you feel nothing. When you feel passionate about a game, love it or hate it — or even if you feel passionate about its mediocrity — it’s easy to put that all on the page. Or in my case, the computer screen. But when you don’t have any kind of passionate response, it becomes more of a struggle.
That’s more or less how I felt about Shank 2. It’s not a bad game by any means. It’s pretty good, actually. It just didn’t stir a strong reaction in me. “S’alright” would encapsulate my feelings concisely, but being that I’m a writer who gets paid to put words to my thoughts, I made a few more observations for my review.
Still, the underlying current in that should be that I felt ambivalent towards the whole thing. I played it, had some fun, and I don’t think I’ll ever touch it again or really think about it at the end of the year. Some games just come and go that way.
More featured writings to come in the somewhat near future!
- So we’re looking at $5 episode packs for XIII-2, with at least one more planned, and no idea if that will actually wrap up the dangling plot threads. I might see if I can work some kind of impressions post about this DLC, because the whole situation seems odd in the first place and I’m wondering how much value will be in these packs. I’m betting at least some of our readers are wondering too.
- I liked Minecraft, but not enough to buy Minecraft merch. That said, as a long-time Lego fan, those are some pretty cool sets. Custom minifigs are always a nice touch too.
- Notch shouldn’t really have to say that he’s not going to dump millions of his personal money into a cult project for charity’s sake, but the internet being what it is, I see why he had to clarify a bit.
- I find the notion of min-maxing in Mass Effect 3 a little ridiculous. It was awfully nice of BioWare to facilitate it, but it seems like anyone putting this kind of work into playing a Mass Effect game is missing the entire point.
- I’m working on an impressions post for Gotham City Impostors, so I’ve been playing it quite a bit. This news of a stat-eating glitch scares the crap out of me, but I can’t just not play when I’m working on writing about it. So, knock on wood.